Monday, November 30, 2009

Our close call:

Dan and I were trying to sleep Wednesday night when I woke up with severe abdominal pain. It was bad. I wake him and tell him that I am in a lot of pain. He asks me for a number on the scale of 1-10, I couldn't think it hurt so much. He said that we needed to go to the hospital. I didn't really want to so I compromised with him and said that we should call them to see what they think we should do-they are the experts after all. I called Labor and Delivery at 11:44 p.m. and the nurse told me that if the pain is bad enough that I am calling I should come in. Great. I tell Dan and we get dressed to head out. I go to the bathroom because that's what I'm good at these days. Whilst in there I throw up-I throw up a lot. We had people over that night for a BBQ and it was so much fun. The hot dogs I are were Kosher so I know that I wasn't sick from them. Anyway, I throw up my food and it was gross. I tell Dan because he was in the other room and didn't know. I get cleaned up and we head out.

We get there and we go to admitting because there was no one in triage. While signing some papers out friends Heavenly and E.T. show up. She only had 3 weeks left of her pregnancy unlike my 8 weeks so it wasn't a big deal for them. We get up to the maternity ward and they have me change into the sexiest gown ever. They hook up fetal monitors and a blood pressure cuff. They come back every once in a while to see how I am doing. Nurse Ginger tells me that I am having contractions every 2-3 minutes apart and that if worst comes to worst they will be sending me to Phoenix because I am not term yet and they are not equipped to handle preterm babies. Fantastic! They tell me that they are going to give me medicine to stop the contractions. I can have up to three shots of this first one, if that doesn't work then I can have three shots of another one, if that doesn't work then they will have to try something else. Very encouraging as you can imagine. She gives me a shot of tributaline, which is an asthma medication, it is used to relax muscles which in this case was my uterus. It started working so she gave me another one to help the first one along. After a bit more time they stopped and she said that she would check with my doctor but that I will probably be going home soon. Yay.

As we were leaving the nurse told us that we could check in on Heavenly because we are friends and whatnot. We went in and visited with them for a few minutes but didn't stay long because it was so late and we were sleepy. She was having stronger contractions but wasn't dilated very much. They kept her over night but ended up releasing her in the morning because she had no change. Hopefully she will have her little boy soon.

We got home and went to bed (again) just after 2:45 a.m. Thanksgiving morning.

What a time we had. I have 3 pictures that MD took of me:







Didn't I tell you it was a sexy gown???






I don't know why Dan looks so happy-he must be delirious from sleep deprivation.


1 comment:

She said...

so what'd the dr say? is gorey going to arrive early or is she going to listen to whats good for her and wait. seriously we are all excited to meet her but tell her there is no rush! glad you are both ok :)