Saturday, September 6, 2008

You are crowned all powerful...


Excerpts from Daily Strength for Daily Needs for September 6. I bought this book for my mom at St. Vinny's but ended up keeping for myself:

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let them deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23

To take up the cross of Christ is no great action done once for all. It consists in the continual practice of small duties that are distasteful to us. -Cardinal John Henry Newman

I would have you, one by one, ask yourselves, In what way do you I take up the cross daily? -Edward B. Pusey

Every morning, receive your own special cross from the hands of your heavenly father. -Lorenzo Scupoli




Even after having read that I'm still unsure of what it means to carry your own cross. Is it just going through the daily struggles of being a christian? If anyone can shed some light on the subject for me that would be great.

2 comments:

jaccalyn Korv said...

I Missed you and danny at church this morning....How are you guys doing? Call me sometime.
I love you

Footin said...

Have you read passed Luke 9:23? I recommend doing that. I find that helps sometimes. Then there are others that I will stay completely lost trying to figure out what it means. A fresh pair of eyes always helps.

In Luke 9:2-22 it says "Jesus strictly warned them not to tell this to anyone. And he said, "The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life."'

Jesus says that The Son of Man must suffer many things. I think that right there says it. I feel like it says that by being a Christian and trusting in Jesus we are going to face persecution. It may just be teasing by friends or people on the street or being physically hurt by others.